1 an adulterous woman; a woman who has an ongoing extramarital sexual relationship with a man [syn: kept woman, fancy woman]
2 a woman schoolteacher (especially one regarded as strict) [syn: schoolmarm, schoolma'am, schoolmistress]
3 a woman master who directs the work of others
- mĭsʹtrĭs, /ˈmɪstrɪs/, /"mIstrIs/
- a woman, specifically
one with control, authority or ownership
- She was the mistress of the mansion, and owned the horses.
- a female teacher
- games mistress
- a woman who (dishonorably) displaces a wife in the affections of a man; a woman, other than his wife, with whom a married man has a continuing sexual relationship
- a dominatrix
a woman of authority
a female teacher
Mistress, the feminine counterpart of master, may mean:
- Mistress (lover) – a woman, other than his wife, with whom a man has a continuing sexual relationship.
- Mistress (form of address) – an old-fashioned term for the lady of the house, especially one who is head of the household.
- A dominatrix in BDSM.
- A woman who owns a slave.
- Schoolmistress, or female school teacher (also called a "schoolmarm"). The term is now generally obsolete; see schoolmaster.
mistress in French: Maître
Frau, Fraulein, Miss, Mlle, Mme, Mmes, dame, dona, donna, lady, madam, madame, mademoiselle, mem-sahib, mesdames, senhora, senhorita, signora, signorina, vrouwDulcinea, abbess, beneficiary, best girl, cestui, cestui que trust, cestui que use, chatelaine, concubine, dame, deedholder, dowager, doxy, dream girl, duenna, educatress, feoffee, feudatory, first lady, gill, girl, girl friend, goodwife, governess, great lady, headmistress, homemaker, householder, housewife, inamorata, instructress, jill, jo, kept mistress, kept woman, lady, lady love, laird, landlady, landlord, lass, lassie, lord, lover, madam, master, matriarch, matron, mesne, mesne lord, mother superior, odalisque, old lady, owner, paramour, playmate, proprietary, proprietor, proprietress, proprietrix, rentier, schooldame, schoolmarm, schoolmistress, squire, titleholder, tutoress, unofficial wife, woman